Quote Un'Quote

CHANGE
Your ATTITUDE
And It will CHANGE
Your LIFE

February 26, 2023

The Long Hair Short Story

 


Toh kafi tapasaya ke baad woh din aahi gaya ki mere baal itne lambe ho gayi main usse choti bana sakta hu.

Parantu uske peeche chupe pidha, gum aur jo dard sahena pada hain is safar main woh sirf musafir hi jaanta hain. 

Chalye mere bachpan main chalte hain. 

As a kid I wanted to grow long hair. Speaking of this desire would evoke strange responses from Indian parents who would threaten to cut the hair in the night while sleeping.

As a kid growing in an Indian household, it was like living in the British Raj where your freedom was decided by your parents.

Never thought that the day will come until it finally happened.

Corona virus happened and the world turned topsy turvy straight out of a hollywood movie. Movements were restricted, masks to be worn at all time and office work to be done from home i.e., Work from Home (WFH).

In midst of all these, saloons were also shut and people were having a hard time taking care of their hair & facial issues especially the women. For a majority of the men, trimmer did the work.

Since I was on my own on this, I decided to play the long game and it paid off when the hair started to grow longer (but not long enough to tie a pony).

Except not the way I wanted. Men with long hair would always look spick & span and I wonder why I am not. The hair above my ears decided to take a different path on its own.

As one visits a doctor for their illness, I decided to pay a visit to the barber shop which had by then opened up.

As I sat on the barber's chair, I explained the guy that I am growing my hair long and he needs to take care of the hair above the ears. Before he moved his hand on the scissors, I asked him if he understood my requirement. He nodded yes.

The next thing he does is snip up my front hair and no amount of screaming at the guy would make it grow back again. Growing hair is like planting a seed into the ground and watering it over the days, weeks and months to see the stem of the plant growing and getting bigger. Except this one gets cut short.

I was back to square one and the dream soon became a distant one. Called up one of my friend who had kept the John Abraham long hair look from Dhoom to share my grief. Asked him if someone can get this wrong and he said no & had laughs at my expense. Talk about some luck.

Days, weeks & months passed. Slowly & steadily the hair kept growing and finally I was happy. However this time there was another problem. I had a different layer of hair growing at the back of the neck making me look like Sanjay Dutt. As I did not liked it I thought a little bit of snip should do the trick.

This time though I went to a different hair saloon. Went through the same drill and yet ended up getting the hair shorter. I wish I was making this up but this was the sad truth. 

Happened to meet few of my friends later and saw one of my other friend end up with long hair. Spoke to him for his advise and he just let it grow and did nothing. Hearing my barber woes made him laugh and not so for me.

That's almost a year and half worth of efforts gone waste. 

Never thought growing hair can be so troublesome. Most importantly how dumb can be the barbers who dont know how to handle the long hair looks. I was running out of hair saloons and prayers made to god to make sure they get it right.

The good thing though happened in the last six months I was able to grow it back again and this time finally I got it right without a visit to a barber. Finally mere baal ki chotti bani gayi.

However it was short lived since I had to take the decision to keep it as is or go back to my normal hair cut for reasons that cannot be disclosed.

Though short lived, it made me happy knowing that I was able to tick off one of the items from my bucket list.

This is my Long Hair Short Story :)








No comments: