Quote Un'Quote

CHANGE
Your ATTITUDE
And It will CHANGE
Your LIFE

June 13, 2009

Anne Frank








I happened to have finished reading the book “The Dairy of A Young Girl” by Anne Frank a week back. What fascinated me about the book was how remarkably well and wittily she has put her thoughts into her dairy which gives us an insight into her transition from a girl to women and life in the “Secret Annexe”.

Her thought clarity at such a young age (she was thirteen when she started writing in her dairy) astounds me. One could only imagine how successful she would have been had she been alive. She wanted to become a writer after war and there is no doubt that she would have been a successful one!!

She expresses herself so beautifully about what she was going through herself and the constant fear they lived in. I loved the way she indulges on the self criticism and writing about herself like an outsider.

It is real sad that the way her life ended in a Nazi concentration camp. In an ironical twist of fate, her wish came true which she had penned in her dairy: “I want to go on living even after my death”.

Here is YouTube video of Otto Frank (her father) talking about the book:



Do read it, in case you haven’t.

P.S.: In case you don’t know, Anne Frank was the daughter of Otto Frank whose family went into hiding with another family during the World War to protect them from the Holocaust that was taking place against the Jews. The only survivor was Otto Frank who then decided to publish her dairy which went on to sell in many countries and translated for the same

20 comments:

Rakesh Vanamali said...

I'm currently read this wonderful book and ur post comes at a very apt time!

Thanks for highlighting this!

Anonymous said...

hail hitler.. err. i meant shoot hitler..

Anonymous said...

Yes. Imagine being young and full of dreams. Whispering to one's diary of a dream to become a writer someday. And the same diary making her the writer after a horribly sad death.
So tragic and true :(

Winnie the poohi said...

I read this book when I was around the same age.. that didnt move me then... but I re read it later and it moved me... Funny isnt it?

Adisha said...

I so wanna read it , but am scared of how it'll effect me.... but you've given me the push I needed. Will surely pick it up the next time I go to the library ...

Kudos to her and her father, two people who lived through that time and kept her alive through all these years !!

Cheers,
adisha

sujata sengupta said...

yah its a great book, the nazi war stories are all so inspiring.

Winnie the poohi said...

hey congrats !! :D @blogadda

Tall Guy said...

@ Rakesh

You will enjoy it :)

@ Chriz

Yeah, but he is already dead :)

@ Choco

Guess, she got what she wanted "To live on even after death"

@ Winnie

It happens. Thanks for the wishes :)

@ Adisha

Glad to give you the push :D

@ Sujata

Welcome to LIFE

That's True!!

Unknown said...

I got to know about this post through Tangy Tuesday picks from Blogadda...
I had read this book some time back and its been my favorite book...
the best thing I liked about Anne Frank was her Love for life ... how she found hope in such hopeless condition she was in living in a 'Annexe' constantly under fear of death....
its really moving, I always suggest people to read it ...

AnjuGandhi said...

i read it say around 30 years back. but reading your post i feel i must read it again.

Kanupriya said...

Wow, have been wanting to read it for so long, now your post has strengthened the urge to read it soon :)

Zyenab said...

OMG! what a coincidence! i just finished it lately, and GOD it touched the deepest chord of my heart! honestly, i was so touched i just went straight to youtube and watchd all those videos out there. and am still not over it, you know why, cause i happened to skip the foreword while reading the book, so i thought the book has a happy ending, or the least, the writer had survived, but that was not to be!

Tall Guy said...

@ Dhiman

Welcome to LIFE

I agree :)

@ Anju Gandhi & Kanupriya.

Welcome to LIFE

To be honest, I never thought this post would revoke such a response :)

Glad to give the push :D

@ Zainab

Yup that's true

Sophiagurl said...

I loved the book! I read it ages ago - she inspired me to write a journal in my early teens though im not even half as good as Anne. Nice post.

Wormy said...

Your post helped me in deciding the next book I need to read...

The outline is beautifully written :)

Tall Guy said...

@ Sophiagurl

Thanks. I would agree that even my journal does not meet her writing standards :)

@ Shwetz

Glad to help you out :) Thanks.

Deepali said...

Read this book a couple of years ago. It was moving to see how difficult life was for the family. It gave a totally different perspective about how they took each day at a time.

She was a very insightful child/young adult. I remember noting down 2 or 3 lines because they were such great observations. Lol I think she mentions how she think older ladies have no ambition or something.

I'm glad her father survived and got her diary published.

Tall Guy said...

@ Deepali

I agree :)

Dr Riya said...

oh.. i have read this book.. n its such a beautiful book.. n so written.. beautifullyy written..it still remains my favorite..

Tall Guy said...

@ Dr. Riya

It surely does!!