Quote Un'Quote

CHANGE
Your ATTITUDE
And It will CHANGE
Your LIFE

April 3, 2011

Astrology, Puja & Tantriks




I am a strong believer of Karma. As you sow so shall you reap. Still there have been times when I have not seen the same happen. It may take time to for one to pay for their bad deeds, but it will happen. Makes me wonder why I still believe in Karma?

In an Indian family, like a family doctor there will be a family astrologer whose advice is always seek before doing anything. Sometimes people approach them with silly questions like “whether my son will pass with distinction or not?”

I don’t follow astrology much but my family does. Recently it so happened that I was the one who also took part in the ritual of seeking advice of the astrologer regarding some issues. I have never done that before but just to seek clarity, I went ahead. At the end of the conversation with the astrologer, I was asked if I was satisfied. I was not but you cannot say that on the face right?

I still take a very bleak view of what they say unless they start making bang on predictions. Some people follow it very blindly and even take the advice given too seriously. If life could be so easily predicted why the hell people would have still problems in their life?

Then there are pujas that are needed to perform to appease the gods or get rid of some doshas that can be seen in your horoscope. This again makes me wonder; can by doing a puja; things will change for the better? I remember pujas being conducted to appease the rain gods so that there will be good amount of rain downpour which did not happen.

It more looks like the case of satisfying one’s mental thoughts that by doing such rituals, things will improve. Even when they don’t work out people still don’t lose out on their beliefs. Should that be considered as smart or just being plain dumb?

Also heard about people visiting tantriks so that things could work their way or trying to influence people. These are very much part of reality and is quite scary too. If god is supposed to be the ultimate power, who gave these people the right to mess with it and what is god doing about it, for people who have been affected by the same? If you ever head down south in India, these are very much part of people’s lives.

I was even told to wear certain gemstones as a kid and have never done that. It makes me wonder if by wearing a gemstone, can I stop the effect of something bad that is going to happen. There are many people out there who can be seen wearing them. Don’t really know if it makes the difference or not.

Do you think they give us the clarity that we need or is it just better to take life as it comes no matter what?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bingo , this is the second issue I found myself nodding my head :P Ditto for all those thoughts which you gave explanations . I wont say I dont believe in astrology , but only that part where your sun sign tell about the character of a person ( I completely believe that pat , because I have found it 100% true while conducting small experiments on people , of course without their knowledge :P)coming to pooja, fastings and n number of things that are proclaimed to alter your line of fate or to shoo the bad time away , I dont believe an inch of it. If life could be that predictable , would it called be life ? I have heard people saying at times it works for them , and on closer observations , i have concluded that it has worked on their psychology , altering their negative mind into a postive , which in turns makes everything positive. and seeing those kind of people every now and then , it makes me trust more on myself and thereby make stronger attitude rather than stretching your hand on a some unknown person and claim they would ease your worries. Well no one in the world has time for even closed one , let alone solve it !

Winnie the poohi said...

I believe in karma.. and not at al in astrology..

it may come true.. the predictions. may be not.. but i dont want the choices be robbed from me..

if something bads gonna happen.. its my due.. n i wudnt wanna be saved from it... etc etc

Rakesh Vanamali said...

One cannot forgo what has to happen, and any amount of concerted efforts to circumvent that will not work, astrology, et al!

It is so because, Karma is in play and what one has to endure, one surely will endure - If anything we can only learn from those happenstances!

Heard about the lone tree on the hillock, braving the worst of storms? There is only one thing it can do and that is to put its roots deeper in the ground in the hope of remaining firm! Our situations too, are not very different!

Maya said...

I have been to astrologers numerous times..i do think they can predict a good amount about a persons nature.. i dont say future can be predicted.. but nature and behaviour tht is what makes us do what we are going to do.. but i totaly avoid the poojas and all..i dont belive in gods or pujas.. and more importantly its fun to hear predictions..

Tall Guy said...

@ DreamyGal

Glad that you agree with me.

@ Meenu.

ever heard of Nadi Shastra? I am tempt to try it out.

Tall Guy said...

@ Rakesh

Well said!!

@ Maya

They might but it again depends on how much you believe on them.

Winnie the poohi said...

yep! and I love knowing my fate.. but somehow I cannot believe in it...

Sh@s said...

They can only fool us and we willingly get fooled by them coz we are afraid of facing the unknown, we do not have control on what is happening to us and also coz we doubt our own abilities.

Tall Guy said...

@ Meenu

Yeah, I just wanted to try it for fun

@ Shas

That's true, uncertainty gets the better of us....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.